Long Term Disability Claims

Safeguarding workplace rights and fighting for benefits for employees and union members across Ontario.



Need us till out the forms? Done.



Want to submit an appeal? We can do it.



Need to sue your insurance company? We can fight for you.

Working on a claim with our law firm means your claims have a far better chance of success. We know why claims get denied and we know how to fight for you.

– Have you been denied LTD?
– Have you been denied CPP Disability Pension?
– Do you need help with your disability forms?
– Has your insurer denied your loss of use or critical illness benefits?

Our initial consultations are free, and we support you through every step of the claims process.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only.

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about Long Term Disability Claims

What do I do if my claim has been denied?

If your insurer has denied your claim, come see us. Insurance policies are complicated and can be hard to understand. And insurance companies often deny claims saying confusing things like:

– There is not enough “objective” evidence;
– The matter is a workplace issue or administrative issue and not covered by the insurance plan; or
– You are not under proper medical care. 

We know how to fight for you when insurers say these things!

Can I fight my insurer?

You can launch an internal appeal or sue your insurer. We can help with both. There are limitation periods (aka deadlines) for starting a lawsuit, so don’t wait too long to come see us.

What does total disability mean?

In order to qualify for benefits, you must meet the definition of total disability in your contract of insurance. This usually means that you are unable to perform the essential duties of your ‘own occupation’. When the ‘own occupation’ period is over, you are typically considered totally disabled if you cannot work in ‘any occupation’ consistent with your education and training.

What does ‘Own Occupation’ and ‘Any Occupation’ mean?

In most policies, the own occupation period lasts for 2 years.

‘Own occupation’ is the job you held at the time your disability occurred.

‘Any occupation’ is any occupation for which you are reasonably qualified, or could become qualified for by reason of education, training or experience.

Do I still need to attend treatment and medical appointments if my claim has been denied?

Yes. In order to show that you are actively participating in your own recovery, you should continue to be under the regular care of an appropriate physician and receive appropriate treatment.

What about Canada Pension Plan disability benefits?

If the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) has denied your disability pension, come see us. We can help you prepare an internal appeal or represent you in front of the Social Security Tribunal. Don’t wait too long. The Canada Pension Plan process has tight deadlines.

I’ve been fired from my job while fighting for LTD. Can you help me?

We can help you. Firing someone who is seeking LTD can be a breach of Human Rights Legislation.

“I was injured and could not return to work. Both my insurer and the Canada Pension Plan denied my applications for disability benefits. I approached my Union [CUPE Local 503] who worked with Jewitt McLuckie & Associates LLP to help me. They successfully represented me in my lawsuit against my insurance company. They also brought my Canada Pension Plan appeal to the Social Security Tribunal. My Lawyer Randy Slepchik won my case and the Tribunal ordered the Canada Pension Plan to pay me tens of thousands of dollars. The Lawyers and staff at Jewitt McLuckie & Associates LLP fought hard for me and won on all counts.”

“J’étais blessée et ne pouvais pas retourner au travail. Mon asseureur ainsi que le Régime de pensions du Canada ont refusé mes demandes de prestations d’assurance d’invalidité. J’ai contacté mon Syndicat [CUPE Local 503] qui travaille avec Jewitt McLuckie & Associates LLP pour m’aider. Ils m’ont répresenté avec succès dans mon action en justice contre mon compagnie d’assurance-vie. Ils ont aussi présenté mon appel du Régime de pensions du Canada au Tribunal de la sécurité sociale. Mon avocat Randy Slepchik a gagné ma cause et le Tribunal a ordonné au Régime de me verser des dixaines de milliers de dollars. Les avocats et le personnel de Jewitt McLuckie & Associates LLP ont beaucoup lutté pour moi et ont gagné à tous les égards.”

Anne-Marie Gédéon

Contact Us

11 + 6 =


1505 Carling Avenue 2nd Floor Ottawa, Ontario K1Z 7L9


Toll free: 1-877-809-8484
T: 613.594.5100
F: 613.594.5156