Jewitt McLuckie & Associates LLP is a moderately sized Ottawa law firm (with eight professional staff) specializing in the areas of union side labour law, employment law, human rights litigation, long term disability litigation and workers compensation cases. We are committed to using the law to improve the lives of workers and to advance the cause of social justice. We are looking for an experienced legal assistant to join our small, tight knit, administrative support staff team. In lieu of experience, we will consider candidates who have completed a legal assistant diploma program.
Candidates must be:
- well organized and a self starter;
- a team player as our small support staff team regularly supports each other;
- an experienced user of Microsoft office products including Excel;
- very familiar with PC Law;
- very familiar with Adobe Acrobat and have the ability to create and manipulate adobe files;
- familiar with labour and employment law.
Your responsibilities will include:
- editing digital dictation created using voice recognition software;
- editing, formatting and proofreading letters, pleadings and other documents;
- arranging for service and court filing of civil litigation and tribunal materials;
- scheduling arbitration hearings for our union clients;
- entering dockets, preparing pre-bills and entering incoming funds into PC Law;
- receiving and paying vendor invoices using PC Law;
- dealing with the firm’s clients over the telephone and via email;
- providing general administrative support primarily to two partners of the firm.
- a competitive salary of at least $50,000 with a higher salary possible for a very experienced or well qualified candidate;
- health and dental benefits as well as an annual health spending account;
- a firm pension plan;
- 3 weeks of paid vacation (plus time off at Christmas) to start, rising to a maximum of 6 weeks over your career with us;
- a supportive and teamwork oriented working environment
The position will start as soon as possible. Please send resumes, references and transcripts (if applicable) to the firm’s managing partner, John McLuckie, at email@example.com.